San Marco Tower
From the boat’s vantage perspective you can admire the architecture of the Torre San Marco (formerly Torre Ruhland), was built at the beginning of the twentieth century by the owner of Villa Ruhland (now Villa Alba), the German industrialist Richard Langensiepen.
It had the function of an observatory tower and is located on the lakeside, right in front of Villa Alba.
In 1925 it was bought by Gabriele D'Annunzio, who transformed it from the German neo-Gothic style to a Venetian military style making it an extension of the Vittoriale, changing its name from Torre Ruhland to Torre San Marco.
The transformation from a German tower to a Venetian tower was entrusted to the architect Giancarlo Maroni, former designer of the Vittoriale.
The Tower is also surrounded by walls on which stand another four sighting towers.
M.A.S. was moored in the dock for several years. (acronym of MEMENTO AUDERE SEMPER = remember to always dare), the medium that was used in the famous Beffa di Buccari. Now it is located inside the Vittoriale.
The Tower from 1943 to 1945 was also a meeting place between Benito Mussolini and Claretta Petacci. Mussolini knew the Tower for being there with D'Annunzio.
Tour and recommended itineraries
This tour is composed of itinerary 1 plus the navigation through the renowned small town of Gardone Riviera.
We will sail in direction Gardone Riviera and Fasano, and then continue to north along the west side of the lake.