The quiet village of Portese is about 1 km from the center of S. Felice.
This small village was once a fishing village unlike San Felice, whose economy was traditionally based on agriculture. In antiquity and in the Middle Ages the historical events of Portese were linked to those of San Felice, until the destruction of Scovolo (1279) when a castle was erected in the village and the community of Portese and Trevignane was established.
Only in 1927 the two centers were definitively unified. Built after the migration of the population of Valtenesi to San Felice, in 1438 the castle was the residence of the Visconti of Piccinino, who carried out raids in the territory of Brescia.
After the restoration in 1483, in the early years of the 16th century it was destroyed by the troops of Louis XII. When the Venetians regained possession of the area the castle resources (1521). Today the corner tower entirely of bricks is visible.
Tour and recommended itineraries
This tour is composed of itinerary 1 plus the navigation through the renowned small town of Gardone Riviera.